Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Year of the Ox Reading 9: "Bad Elements: Chinese Rebels from LA to Beijing"


Anyone who has read my other blog knows that I have been keeping a narrative of my readings for the last few years. Here is another one.
A few years ago, I thought I would write a book called "The Five China Policy." It would be about the different Chinas that exist throughout the world in places like China, Taiwan, Hong and Macau, Singapore and in Chinatowns throughout the world. Well Ian Buruma hasn't exactly beat me to the punch but he has come up with a similar idea. What he has done is look have dissidents throughout the Chinese world have had to cope with authority. You get a lot of information that is familiar, but I was still shocked when I read the Singapore chapter. I knew a lot of bad things happened there in that shopper's paradise, but I didn't know how bad.
This book shed much light on what people are really saying in China about their government. Of course it is a few years old, so I am sure much has changed. It will be interesting to see what it is like in that country today.
One thing that Buruma kept mentioning was the fact that many of the dissidents are
Christians. They seem to feel that Christianity gave them a new concept on what is a human being. It was quite revealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment